In 1982-1983, the BBC broadcast a series called 100 Great Sporting Moments. It was a collection of interesting and exciting moments shown on the BBC (note the specificity of the title, great rather than greatest). The series was a fantastic history of sport, not just the biggest moments, but an education in sport through the televisual years.
Once the original series was shown, for a few years I seem to recall they were used as handy fillers for awry schedules and rained-off events. After a while I presume that either the rights to some elements may have reverted, or the BBC just felt they looked a little dated, and their use stopped.
So I was wondering the other day what the exact list of events was. Of course these are from a pre-internet era, but even then, this list seems lost into the ages. I’ve already carried out some research, and tracked down several of the events, but I suspect as I stand, I only know about 30% of the original list. It’s not obvious, as stated it isn’t the greatest moments ever, it’s far more eclectic than that.
So this page now exists as a starting point for the project to track down all 100 moments. I’ve found some on youtube, and confirmed some elsewhere. I will list out all I know for sure to begin with, and gradually add links to youtube for each one. I’ll also list my possible moments that either I or other people believe were shown. If you have any memories, proof or useful links for me, please do post them in the comments.
Finally, I’m starting another separate list for Graeme’s Great Sporting Moments, so that I can complete and get to 100 for at least one project.
Update: I’ve found the BBC Genome Project which has a lot of entries for 100GSM shows, so I’m going to update this list soon with that, and in return add some edits to help clean up what they’ve scanned in from Radio Times.
BBC 100 Great Sporting Moments
- Mary Peters, Munich Olympics – 1972 – Athletics (shown 01/11/1982) Youtube
- Arkle, Cheltenham Gold Cup – 1964 – Horse Racing (shown 08/11/1982) Youtube
- Joe Davis v John Pulman, television challenge match – 1962 – Snooker (shown 15/11/1982) Youtube
- USA v USSR, Munich Olympics – 1972 – Basketball (shown 29/11/1982) Youtube (full game, not 100GSM clip)
- Scotland v Wales – 1971 – Rugby
- Scotland v England – 1980 – Rugby
- Barbarians v New Zealand – 1973 – Rugby
- British Motorcycle Grand Prix – 1979 – Motorcycling
- Ken Rosewall v Cliff Richey, Wimbledon Quarter-final – 1971 – Tennis
- Arsenal v Man Utd, FA Cup Final – 1979 – Football
- Gillette Cup, Semi-Final – 1971 – Cricket
- The Open – 1972 – Golf
- Red Rum, Grand National – 1973 – Horse Racing
- Red Rum, Grand National – 1974 – Horse Racing
- Red Rum, Grand National – 1977 – Horse Racing
- Colin Jones v Kirkland Laing – 1980 – Boxing
- Colin Jones v Kirkland Laing – 1981 – Boxing
- West Indies innings, World Cup Final – 1975 – Cricket
- Australia innings, World Cup Final – 1975 – Cricket
- Victoria Wade v Chris Evert-Lloyd, Women’s semi-final, Wimbledon – 1977 – Tennis
- Victoria Wade v Chris Evert-Lloyd, The Wightman Cup – 1980 – Tennis
- Osram Saloon Car Championship – 1971 – Motor Racing Youtube
- David Bedford, 10,000m, Crystal Palace – 1973 – Athletics Youtube (Same footage not full episode)
- Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe, Tie Break, Men’s Final, Wimbledon – 1980 – Tennis
- Daily Express F3 Trophy Final – 1970 – Motor Racing
- Jack Brabham Trophy Race – 1971 – Motor Racing
- Motorcross – 1960s